Friday, September 21, 2007

Well, we've "upgraded" wireless places after a series of frustrations at our previous spot which I really wanted to like because it is named Naima, presumably after the John Coltrane song. Unfortunately, Naima never seemed to let us connect if two other people were already connected, so we searched the town for another hotspot and found Moyo, another trendy cafe with free WiFi. We decided to go the next day. There was only one flaw in my plan -- I forgot my passport and there is an Italian law requiring all people using a public/free internet location to register their use of said connection.

So...instead, I'm typing in notepad and drinking a beer. Not a bad consolation, but I've got two sets of pictures and two posts besides this one waiting in the wings.

Rob (proving again that he's the smart one in the bunch) did bring his passport and has successfully scored a wireless access code, but is currently having connection issues (hopefully not caused by me trying to piggy back on his code). So...now our "upgraded" wireless spot is not seeming too "upgraded". Argh.

Hmmm...while I wait for Rob to struggle through things, I'm perusing the magazines on the table and have made quite the discovery -- a woman named Juliana Moreira on the cover of an Italian magazine called Max. I don't know who she is, or what she does, but guys...she looks like she's worth a google. :) Actually, gals...you might want to take a peek too.

Still no luck and ironically we're thinking about hitting the previous wireless place in hopes of it being better...

Bear with us guys - we're trying.

On a related note, Rob and I went to the Uffizi for the third or fourth time to attempt to get the "Friends of Uffizi" pass so that we can pop in there as frequently as we'd like (among other places). The first time it was closed and not providing cards because of a technical problem, the second time it was closed for random maintainance, and this last time we finally got in the door, but were told we needed an appointment...which we made. Too little too late you say? You're probably right, but it's the freaking principle now. I'm going Galvan on this one and won't quit until I "win!"

Also, the girl manning the "Friends of Uffizi" desk was anything but friendly. Maybe friendliness only comes after your membership dues are paid.

Rob is literally pulling out his hair now and cursing at his computer (and he doesn't even have "f*cking Vista!" Which, by the way, after using that for a month now I'm only more convinced it sucks...lots more useless garbage for twice as much inconvenience - yay! Sorry, I digress...maybe I'll come around when they decide to make it not suck.)

Editors note: I have successfully returned to Moyo and acquired an internet access card. The connection is working without a hitch and you all should see a lot more posts! I have posted three new blurbs today (and back-dated them, so scroll through). There's more to come...hopefully readership will pickup again. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm, going "Galvan" should not be the exception but the rule! :) Glad to see the posts again. And thanks for the Google tip!

Unknown said...

awaiting food/menu details !!! you are hilarious to read, thanks for sharing, Philip's mom and dad, too!